5 Things to Know Today: Friday, Feb. 17
The D-Jays have a special visitor this weekend, Dunedin High School wrestlers go head-to-head at states, and other things worth knowing.
1) What to wear? Expect a 40 percent chance of afternoon showers today. Otherwise, it'll be mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Rain may stay with us into the night and temperatures should hover in the mid 60s, according to the National Weather Service.
2) Need a cheap pre-weekend fill-up? The lowest reported gas price in Dunedin is $3.49 (cash, regular) at the Super Shop, 1001 Broadway, according to TampaGasPrices.com.
3) The D-Jays are abuzz with excitement for a special sort of homecoming this weekend. Toronto's manager John Farrell's son Luke Farrell, a junior pitcher at Northwestern University, takes the field (or at least his team does) against Seton Hall on Sunday as part of the Big 10/Big East Baseball Challenge at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Sunday's game is at 1 p.m. Big 10 and Big East schools are scheduled to play across Pinellas from today through Sunday, with the only other games in Dunedin scheduled today:
- 4 p.m.: St. John's at Michigan State
- 7:30 p.m.: Pittsburgh at Michigan
4) Five Dunedin High School wrestlers go head-to-head today in a two-day state championships tourney in Lakeland. A special Patchy good luck to the state-qualifying wrestlers: seniors Kyle Goodnow (170 pounds) and Chandler Pope (132), juniors Clarence Arrington (120) and Alex Lebhar (138) and sophomore Marc Allison (126). If you're going to cheer them on, tickets are $9; parking is $7 at the Lakeland Center, 701 West Lime St., Lakeland.
5) T.G.I.F! Check out all the other events going on today — from a fish fry at Honeymoon Island Park to a pelvic power workshop at Back N' Balance to a quaint outdoor Green Market in Pioneer Park — Dunedin has it all!