5 Things to Know Today: Monday, Aug 27
Helloooo Isaac! We've got some important closures and other interesting non-storm-related things about town — like what's growing in that photo.
1) The National Weather Service forecast: Expect tropical storm conditions, showers, thunderstorms and a high near 89. Heat index values may get as high as 101.
- Winds: east southeast 26 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph.
- Tonight: Tropical storm conditions may continue. Low around 80 and winds 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.
3) Both the Dunedin Public Library and Pinellas County Schools are closed today because of the threat of Tropical Storm Isaac. It may be a good Redbox movie day if you're looking for things to do with the kids. Check close locations here.
4) Two well-known mural artists are reportedly now leasing studio space at The Institute for Creative Arts on Douglas Avenue. Steve Spathelf of Spat's Splats and Anna Hamilton of Anna Hamilton Murals were both at Stirling Art Studios & Gallery on Broadway. Hamilton is famed for her pet murals in Dunedin and several cities across Tampa Bay. Spathelf is known for the oranges painted on more than 160 buildings around town. He painted the 100th orange at the Institute for Creative Arts.
5) Have you seen the huge aeroponic garden towers at Broadway Deli & Cafe? The Tower Garden grows almost all the vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs you could imagine growing at home — without the need for soil. Chefs have reportedly been using some of the herbs in their in-house creations.