Red Cross Launches Hurricane Safety App
Hurricane season is in full effect and the American Red Cross is looking out for areas, like the beaches, that are prone to natural disasters.
The Tampa Bay chapter of the American Red Cross announced the release of a new app last week. The hurricane safety app is complete with pre-storm tips as well as post-disaster instructions.
Another bonus is the "I'm safe" option, which allows residents to send a notification to loved ones, with the push of a button.
Lifesaving features are included in the app, from shelter locations to a tool kit that includes a flashlight, an audible alarm and a strobe light. The app is free and is the second in a series to be created by the American Red Cross, for use on iPhone and Android platforms.
"We want everyone to be to be ready for severe tropical weather," said Linda Carbone, CEO for Florida's West Coast Region. "The Red Cross Hurricane App allows people to receive and spread emergency information and to share their own status with friends and loved ones through social networks, anywhere, anytime."
The Hurricane App includes the following features:
- One touch "I'm safe" messaging that allows users to broadcast reassurance to family and friends via social media outlets that they are out of harm's way
- Location-based NOAA weather alerts for the United States and its territories users can share on social networks
- Remote monitoring of personalized weather alerts where family and friends reside
- Locations of open Red Cross shelters
- Simple steps and checklists people can use to create a family emergency plan
- Preloaded content that gives users instant access to critical action steps, even without mobile connectivity
- Toolkit with flashlight, strobe light and audible alarm
- Badges users can earn through interactive quizzes and share on social networks.
According to a news release, "National Red Cross experts in health, safety, and preparedness have thoroughly reviewed and field tested the information and advice provided in this app."
To find the hurricane app, search "American Red Cross" in the Apple App store (Google Play Store for Android). Users can also call "* * REDCROSS" from a cell phone and a text with a link to the app will be sent right to your phone. Downloading the First Aid app is not a substitute for training. People can visit the American Red Cross online for course information and to register.