Each week on Sunday, Dunedin Patch likes to take a breather and enjoy the sunset. After all, it's one of the many reasons we love to live in Dunedin!
To celebrate the new year, we set out to list our 10 favorite sunsets of 2011; most were photographs that YOU, our wonderful readers, emailed to us.
We loved them all, so picking just 10 was no easy task. Ultimately we opted to call attention to those with exceptional originality or creativity and those that were uniquely Dunedin sunsets.
Here they are:
1) Peekaboo, Kayak, Joanna D'Ordine, Oct. 2
You can just see the sun peaking through the iconic kayaks at Sail Honeymoon on the Dunedin Causeway. There's no mistaking where this sunset was shot. We think it's absolutely the most locally iconic sunset of the year.
2) Beauty in a Shiny New Bumper, Doug Renker, Dec. 25
We love that Doug caught this reflection of a sunset on his truck's bumper.
3) Bird's Eye View, Marc K. Banks, Nov. 20
The juxtaposition of the osprey and the pelican-mast art is truly a photographer's dream. (Featured Nov. 20.)
4) Sinking into the Horizon, Marc K. Banks, June 5
The depth of field really enhanced the reflection of the sun at low tide. This shot makes us want to be at the beach. (Featured June 5.)
5) Of Sunsets Past, Jean Pearson, April 3
We love that Jean Pearson dug into the vault of film photography to bring us the shot from Mediterranean Manor.
6) Castles Made of Sand, Jenny English, Nov. 27
Who doesn't love sandcastles at sunset?
7) Playing Ball 'Til Night Falls, Katie Dolac, May 8
We love the silhoutted action happening in this photo. Plus, it was taken from inside Florida Auto Exchange Stadium.
8) Hangin' at Honeymoon, Jerry D'Amore, Oct. 30
We love the soft, romantic feel of this shot. We also like how the seagulls also find the scene relaxing.
9) An Original Ansel — Er, Ed Adams, Ed Adams, Oct. 16
We still agree that sunsets after a good rain make for good photos.
10) Setting on Dunedin's Edge, Tyler Sontag, June 19
We liked the stripped down look of the tree. There's something beautiful about the dead look of this tree.
This year's fan favorite (we would have chosen it if you hadn't):
- Set Sail Into the Horizon, Jim Olson, Nov. 13
We don't think it's a waste of time to re-visit all of the Dunedin Patch Sunday Sunsets, either. We made a special page for them. You can click here or visit them all year. Just hover over the "News" tab (in the navagation bar across the homepage) and click on "Sunday Sunsets" from the drop down menu.
A special thanks goes to our top 2011 sunset contibutors: Marc K. Banks, Joanna D'Ordine, Bob MacDonald and Tyler Sontag.
And everyone else deserves a huge thank you, too:
- Ed Adams, Jerry D'Amore, Lynn Daleski, Priscilla DiBlasi, Len Dozois, Jenny English, Laura Evertsen, Suzanne Sorrell Gregoire, Rod Kratochwill, Yvonne LoPresto, Shelly Maslak, Jim Olson, Jean Pearson, Jim Peterson, Raymond Poyner, Doug Renker, Bruce Richards, Theresa Ritz, Monty Seidler, Alex Tiegen, Melody Urso.
We love sharing your sunsets. Keep 'em coming! We are excited to see what sunsets 2012 has in store!