Patch Picks is a weekly feature highlighting editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off and more.
You’ll find useful lists to help you, your family, friends, and significant others find the best places for everything from Sunday brunch to New Year’s Eve celebrations, pumpkin patches, date night destinations, florists, girlfriends’ nights out, kids party places, parks and more. This week, we've uncovered a smorgasbord of summer camp possibilities for your kids.
- : Hammock Park’s summer camp is the place to be for young nature lovers. According to its Web site, the park is a 90-acre ancient hardwood forest. The park boasts more than 300 species of trees, flowers and animals. Registration begins March 12 for residents and March 23 for non-residents; 1900 San Mateo Drive; 727-812-4545.
- : Summer camp registration begins in late February and early March for children ages 4 through 14. DFAC offers a variety of camps with names like "Sizzlin’ Summer" and "Mural Madness." Space is limited; 1143 Michigan Blvd.; 727-298-DFAC.
- : The Dunedin Branch of KinderCare offers summer camp for ages 2 through 12. Themes vary from wild west to ancient Egypt, and subjects from sports to science; 1990 Main St.; 727-733-7308.
- : The community center, which is home to the Dunedin Showcase Theater and the Chorus with a Heart, hosts bagpipe, Lego and theater camps; 1920 Pinehurst Road; 727-812-4530.
- : Known for its new skate park, the center features basketball, gymnastics and skate boarding camps; 550 Laura Lane; 727-738-2920.
- Dunedin Stirling Links: Previously St. Andrews Links and former home of the PGA of America, the golf course invites budding Arnold Palmers to hone their skills over the summer; 620 Palm Blvd.; 727-733-6728.
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium: The aquarium offers youngsters "Dolphin Camp" and "Animal Encounters." It also has "Junior Kayak Camp" and "Shark Camp." CMA offers a discount to members with different levels, depending on involvement; 249 Winward Passage, Clearwater; 727-441-1790.
- The Goddard School: Located in Tampa, the school doubles as camp when the Florida summer heats up. Leaping into literature and time travel are some intriguing summer options here; 14607 Brick Place. Tampa; 813-926-9820.