October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in Dunedin and beyond:
- Oct. 5: Cut Cancer Out Parking Lot Party: Hair Drive for Angel Hair with Gold-n-Fire and Strange Brew at Cricketers
- Oct. 6: Cut Cancer Out Parking Lot Party: Dunk Tank Contest, Raffles with Crossroads and Hope Darling at Cricketers
- Oct. 7: Cut Cancer Out Parking Lot Party: Dunedin Causeway Cancer Walk with Ron & The Classics and Full Fledged Unit at Cricketers
- Oct. 10: "Fall Into Fashion" Fashion Show and Luncheon to benefit breast cancer research at Belleview Biltmore Golf Club
- Oct. 15: Bands for Boobies at Crabby Bill's Rocky Point
- Oct. 20: Put on Your Pink Bra, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, Vinoy Park in St. Petersburg
- Oct. 24: "Breast Cancer in 2012: Where Do We Stand?" lecture at Mease Countryside Hospital in Palm Harbor
- Oct. 26-28: Susan G. Komen 2012 Tampa Bay 3-Day
In addition to these events, there are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million.
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.