Make a basketball shot with a vacuum truck. Navigate and maneuver a backhoe.
These are just some of the events in which 10 Dunedin public utility employees will compete against city workers from throughout the county as part of Public Works Day on Wednesday, May 22, in Clearwater.
The event showcases the importance of public works. It features demonstrations and vehicle, equipment displays, and for the first time, the North Pinellas Top Ops Competition, in which utility and field crews from Clearwater, Dunedin, Largo, Oldsmar, Pinellas Park, Safety Harbor, Tarpon Springs and the Town of Belleair compete for top honors and trophies.
- Backhoe Operation, maneuver objects using a backhoe bucket;
- Vacuum Truck Operation, make a basket with a basketball/hoop.
- Hard Tap, where competitors open a ductile iron pipe and install a tap.
- Fun Tap, where they open a PVC pipe and install a tap.
- Meter Madness, assemble a water meter from a bucket of parts.
- Director's Challenge, which tests the director's ability to successfully do the backhoe challenge.
Dunedin is competing in four categories: Fun Tap, Meter Madness, Backhoe and the Director's Challenge.
Employees representing Dunedin include:
- Fun Tap: Joe McLemore, Mike Blanton, Rodney Rainey, Larry Lash and Toney Lagos
- Meter Madness: Mike Blanton and Tony Lagos
- Backhoe: Mike Blanton, Gary Lane, Richard Helton and Bradley Young
- Director’s Challenge: Doug Hutchens and Paul Stanek
Residents are invited to watch the formal competitions of skill from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Want to Go?
- What: Public Works Day and Top Ops Competition
- When: from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, May 22
- Where: Public Works Complex, 1650 N. Arcturas Ave.
- Contact: 727-562-4960 or visit myclearwater.com.
Sign up for the free Dunedin Patch email newsletter to stay connected to your community.