Heavy rain and wind from Tropical Storm Andrea were rough on area opsrey.
The first named storm of hurricane season, which began June 1, is responsible for the deaths of at least three area osprey.
Barb Walker of Clearwater Audubon Society says call volume about injured birds in the area was high during and after Andrea.
She recently revealed the storm's avian casualties:
- One osprey was downed along the coast in Dunedin. The young bird suffered a broken wing and possible internal trauma.
- One osprey died when it fell or was blown out of its nest at Palm Harbor's Sunderman Field.
- In East Lake's Lansbrook subdivision, a pine tree snapped in half and two osprey wound up on the ground. One of the injured birds was killed by predators. The other was rescued, but is very weak (see photo).
- Latest: Tropical Storm Andrea's Impact on Dunedin
- Tropical Storm Andrea Drenches Deputies at Dunedin Causeway
- Tropical Storm Andrea Rains Out D-Jays Game
- Honeymoon Island Beaches Reopen After Tropical Storm Andrea
- Update: Roof Collapses at Humane Society During Storm
Subscribe to the Dunedin Patch newsletter to have local news delivered to your email each day. Sign up here.