Students Safe after Kiln Fire at High School

Materials inside a kiln caught fire early Friday, causing an estimated $200 in damage, Dunedin firefighters report.

Materials inside a kiln caught fire early Friday at Dunedin High School.

No injuries are reported.

The fire was isolated to a kiln in an art classroom, causing smoke to fill the building. Students and staff evacuated the building and called the Dunedin Fire Department at around 8:38 a.m. The flames self-extinguished before Dunedin firefighters arrived, fire officials report. 

"Staff and students did an excellent job evacuating the buildings prior to Fire Department arrival," Bill McElligott said.

Students were able to return to classes within about 20 minutes, after firefighters cleared the area of smoke and heat.

McElligott says the kiln was determined to be operating normally.

Damage is estimated at $200.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »