A Dunedin Elementary employee is up for a big honor.
Lori Gooding is among 21 support employees selected from 6,300 others countywide as a semifinalist for Support Employee of the Year award, according to a news release from Pinellas County Schools.
Gooding, an Exceptional Student Education associate, helps teachers who work with students with disabilities. She spends 75 percent or more of her hours directly with students.
She is one of seven semifinalists in the category for those considered to have "Direct Involvement with Students."
Finalists will be named later this month, the news release says.
All support employees were nominated by faculty, administrators and school community members for outstanding contributions to student achievement, exceptional skill and dedication on the job, and commitment to personal and professional development in three categories: direct involvement, indirect involvement and limited involvement, according to a news release.
Winners of each of three categories, and the overall Support Employee of the Year, will be named at a recognition breakfast on Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, at the Feather Sound Country Club in Clearwater.
Last year, Dunedin Elementary teacher Stephanie Whitaker was honored Outstanding Educator of the Year.
Here is a full list of Support Employee semifinalists:
- Aymarah Benz, Bauder Elementary, ESE Associate
- Lori Gooding, Dunedin Elementary, ESE Associate
- Gregory Hinton, Lakewood High, Campus Monitor
- Amy Putnam, Cypress Woods Elementary, High Needs Associate
- Sandra Sumner, Shore Acres Elementary, ESE Associate
- Irma Vargas, Skycrest Elementary, Bilingual Assistant I
- Kathy Weller, Blanton Elementary, Title I Paraprofessional
(spends less than 25 percent of work hours in direct contact with students)
- Tameaka Brown, Gibbs High, Office Clerk I
- Mary Heldt, East Lake High, Senior Data Technician
- Anita Herman, Frontier Elementary, Secretary/Bookkeeper
- Cassandra Holt, James B. Sanderlin PK-8 IB World School, Secretary/Bookkeeper
- Melodie Moreno, Leila G. Davis Elementary, Family & Community Liaison
- Essie Sneed, Tomlinson Adult Learning Center, Secretary/Bookkeeper
- Debra Stotts, Largo Middle, Office Clerk I
(spends little or no work hours in direct contact with students)
- Patrick Curry, Melrose Elementary, Head Plant Operator
- Katherine Dickinson, Curlew Creek Elementary, Secretary/Bookkeeper
- Jeffrey Frey, Walter Pownall Service Center, Carpenter Journeyman
- Kristy Hayes, Ponce de Leon Elementary, Secretary/Bookkeeper
- Hilda Henley, Administration Building, Secretary to Assistant Superintendent
- Lisa Packard, Administration Building, Clerk Specialist I
- Jerry Reynolds, Countryside High, Head Plant Operator