Don't miss some of these great events coming up in Dunedin. Have an event coming up? Add it to the calendar!
- Free Cooking Class: Super Sunflower Seeds! (Wednesday)
- Membership Coffee: Dunedin Women's Competitive Sailing Organization (Thursday)
- Free Health Seminar: Good Vibrations: Understanding Homeopathy (Thursday)
- Clearwater/St. Pete Ski Club Kick Off Party (Friday)
- Dunedin Community Garden: Florida Friendly EncrEdibles (Saturday)
- Dunedin Housing Authority: Wednesday, Aug. 20, 3:30 p.m. at City Hall, 542 Main St.
Dunedin students are headed back to school today, so be alert for school buses and children during the morning and afternoon hours.
Also, below are some of the major city construction projects that may (or may not) hinder traffic this week. Please be cautious and aware when you're in the area:
- Highlander Park: Crews are building a new Fire Station 61 on the corner of Michigan Boulevard and Ed Eckert Drive, where the recycle drop-off used to be.
- Downtown: The Dunedin Municipal Marina is getting some rehab work, so don't be surprised if some of the docks, sidewalks and roads around it to be closed off. Also, crews are still working on the sidewalk promenade that, once finished, will entice pedestrians from downtown Main Street toward the marina. It's coming along, but expect closures.
- San Salvador Drive: Anticipate major road closures and detours in this neighborhood. Be especially patient if you attend any events at Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, the Conmy Center or San Jose Elementary School.
Need to fill up for the week on the cheap? The lowest gas price in Dunedin is $3.35 at the following gas stations: Rally, 1621 Main St.; Valero, 3000 Belcher Rd.; and Mobil, 1201 Belcher Rd., according to what's reported on TampaGasPrices.com.
HOT FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
The National Weather Service says to expect a heat index of 101. Also expect a 40 percent chance of scattered showers and afternoon thunderstorms.